Wednesday, March 3, 2010

British Series: Sugar Rush, Skins

I love accents.
Having said this slightly odd and maybe creepy thing, I might add that my favorite accent is the British accent (although I do appreciate the French, Swedish, Spanish and Italian accent as well).
Once more - even though I sound as random as possible, what I'm saying is actually connected to TV (I told you the media presence is everywhere these days). You see people, tonight I want to talk about two series I started watching only because of their accents: British series.
Now, I didn't use to be very fond of British people, but the ones I've been living with (on my computer, that is), actually made me change my mind, so here they are:



Sugar Rush is a series based in Brighton (a city that I went to, unfortunately before I discovered myself that I was bi, so I didn't actually get to enjoy the city in its best element!), starring Kimberly Daniels (Olivia Hallinan). Now, her character starts off annoying and I didn't stand it in the beginning. But fortunately, by the time she realizes that she's crushing on her best friend Sugar Sweet (Lenora Crichlow and by the way, yes that is her name!), she also grows something that makes her bareable (I can't precisely say what). During the two series that are out for now, Kim deals with her fairly odd and slightly psychotic parents, her coming out and the love story with Saint (Sarah-Jane Potts), a lesbian working at something called the "Clit Club" (sexy toy shop). The interesting twist in this series is the connection between Kim and Sugar and how their friendship/weirdthing evolves as they both grow up (I just noticed that I sound old already, even though I'm really not).
I actually enjoyed this series, but I wouldn't watch it again, if you know what I mean. But it's entertaining and there are some really funny characters (like Kim's brother, who's also borderline-human and very much borderline-alien).



The far better series, the series I love the most right now, is Skins. Now Skins is something I used to watch before, but it just got so much better when they put in a lesbian love story (like I said, they're starting to do that everywhere now, which is of course fair considering our presence). The series has already four seasons and is airing the fifth season, where each character receives his/her own 40-minutes-episode. The stories are amazing, honestly, and it shows how growing older is not as easy as we're always made to believe. My favorite characters are Effy Stonem (Kaya Scodelario) and the twin sister Emily Fitch (Kathryn Prescott ... the other syster, is only just a c-word) and of course the lovely Naomi Campbell (Lily Loveless). Luckily, these last two favorite characters just got together and have an amazing story with all the ups and downs, highs and lows, smiles and frowns.
Ignoring the fact that I love those two characters (plus Effy, who's amazing anyway), the series includes a lot of very interesting and close-to-the-bone (or how Alice Pieszecky would say: "More like sucking on the marrow") storylines, love stories, topics and characters.
To this series, I can only say: Watch it! You have to! It's awesome!

Ok, I'll stop now before you think I'm a complete weirdo, but here's the info you need: Both series are on the channel E4, which some of you might be able to watch (lucky you), but others (including me), aren't, so as usual my advice is to either hit SurfTheChannel or YouTube and let those half-saints (YouTube-cool-video-uploaders) show you the world of our community portrayed by the British people!
Yours truly,
Bilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment