Monday, March 1, 2010

Medical Series: Grey's Anatomy, Terapia d'Urgenza, Dr. House, Hospital Central

I'm now sitting at my desk, with my university application form, trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Now, you might not care at all about what I do, what I think or who I am, but believe it or not, what I'm doing right now has a lot to do with TV series.
Where did you think you get your inspiration from? Your parents? Old school. Your friends? Too early to find inspiration. TV? That's right, our idols, our inspiration, our dreams, they all come from that big black squared thing in your living room!
You see, I always knew that the only thing I would certainly never become is a doctor (because I almost faint at the sight of blood and can't imagine touching someone's insides for a living). But now, now that I have to finally send in the application form, I'm starting to change my mind. And the reason why I do that, is because I'm very much series-addicted and I've started to watch a lot of hospital-series lately.
Now, what you might find astonishing, is that in almost every hospital series you can think of, there's a gay couple and their love story, so for me, that makes it even more interesting. Think about it, Grey's Anatomy, Dr. House, Hospital Central, Terapia d'urgenza and so on. As weird as this sound, it's safe to assume that if 10-20% of the population is gay (which unfortunately, I don't really believe is true, but let's assume that for a second), the chances of there being a gay couple in a series depicting real life in a hospital are quite high (10-20% of course). So we love that. We love the fact that they don't only show gay couples in gay series but get them in doctor and nurses uniforms. We love the fact that our presence is growing and finally taking up a realistic appearence in TV.

Having said all this, I really just want to tell you about my favorite hospital series and their couples, and leave you with something to watch for tonight:





Grey's anatomy: Classics. Good sense of humor. Entertaining. Close to the bone. Love it!
Everyone loves Calliopie Torres (Sara Ramirez), everyone loved her coming out love story with Erica Hahn (Brook Smith) and now everyone adores her being with Arizona Robbins (Jessica Capshaw). Grey's anatomy is a must for all you hospital-series-lovers out there.



Terapia d'urgenza: An Italian series, on set in Milano that gives you 18 episodes (for now, hopefully we'll get more), each of a duration of 95 minutes (basically your whole evening). We're staring (once again), the lesbian doctor Marina Ranieri (Alessia Barela) who approaches the until-now straight nurse Esther Bruno (Elisabetta Rocchetti) and finally the love story between the two evolves. Now, I'm not so sure that this series is worth a lot. The story is old and seen already (Hospital Central - ring a bell), the end is as very similar as other ends of gay couples, such as in Los Hombres de Paco (it better not become a habit of just killing 'em in the end), the dialogues are not really that deep and let's face it, the reason why they shut it down is because almost no one watched it when it was on Rai Due. BUT: It's in Italian. And that makes up for a lot of things.



I told you already about the series Hospital Central, and right now I can't think of more. I know that many people watch Dr. House, so presumably it's quite good, but it never really convinced me. I can tell you though, that one character we love very much, Thirteen (Olivia Wilde; the same actress that we loved in couple with Mischa Barton in the O.C. California), has had her share of girl-to-girl kissing. But again, I have no idea what, when, where, how, who or why. Go inform yourself and report back (with details and pictures, if possible).

So what should you do now? If you're lucky and Grey's is on (which is actually more often than you'd think), go get 'em.
If you're not, Megavideo has all the latest episodes of Grey's and YouTube gives you full episodes of Terapia d'urgenza, with subtitles.
That's it from me, yours,
Bilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment